Thursday, December 14, 2006

Z, oh glorious Z

I got to thinking about the "value propositions" of Z within the context of what you and I do for a living. It always struck me that those propositions are sometimes stated as if they're obvious and that everybody knows them but may need to be reminded of them.

I'm not so sure that's true. To that end, I got to thinking that perhaps there's really three "states" of this.

Value Propositions of Z Not Known or Not Understood
This is the case where someone either sincerely is not aware of the things we all might take for granted, or they've heard the words but do not really understand the meaning of them. In some ways I think I fall into the latter camp.

What does one do with someone like this? Educate them? Is it your experience that people who fall into this camp are open to being educated on the values?

Value Propositions of Z Understood But Dismissed or Rejected
Here's the case where some smart fellow is well aware of the concept and theory behind the stated values, but dismisses or rejects them.

What do you do with this person? Is there any real hope of overcoming objections here?

Value Propositions of Z Not Believed to be Exploited By Solution
This is the one I'd not given much thought to before today. It seems to me there may well be a group of people out there that are laboring under the misimpression that modern-day solutions run on Z, but don't really exploit Z to its fullest.

A simple HelloWorld java program runs the same on P or Z ... there's no exploitation of Z to really speak of.

I wonder if there's a thinking out there that other stuff -- SOA in particular -- doesn't really exploit Z? If so, then stating the value proposition might not make its mark. Listener may well agree with value proposition of platform, but not believe that solution does any more than simply run on the platform, in some dumb, unexploitive way.

Am I way off base with this one?

No comments: