Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Misunderstandings

... and then she kind of took it the wrong way and got sad.

That can happen. I find things like that to be one of the most difficult things about getting along with people. I find that quite often what I say is not often understood correctly by the other person. That happens for several different reasons:
  1. I didn't really express myself well or clearly
  2. The words I spoke didn't really match the real intent in my heart
  3. The other person was listening to me with a predisposition to believe only one thing
Of those three, I tend to find myself falling into the trap of #2 too often. I may think I'm doing someone a favor by pointing something out to them, but in my heart what I'm really trying to do is criticize or mock them. I find I do this more often than I realize I do. It's a hard thing to keep an eye on because what goes on deep in our hearts is not always evident to us.

I'm also not very good when #3 happens. I usually tend to debate and get angry with people when they refuse to consider different views on things. The terrible irony is that I use #3 on other people all too often.

* * *
Next week my lovely bride and I are off to Prescott, Arizona for a few days. Our first vacation together in ... two years? It'll be nice.

* * *
Have you ever heard of the TV show called "Scrubs?" It's an NBC production and involves a team of young doctors at a hospital? It's a comedy/drama show that employs minor slapstick and poignent moments particularly well. I'm currently hooked on it.

No comments: