Monday, December 11, 2006

My City Was Gone

I always liked Chrissie Hynde's vocals from "The Pretenders." I'm not much a fan of female vocalists in general, but I always thought her delivery had a certain something -- not just a pretty voice but rather some edge.

I bring her up because I'm in Ohio, and that makes me think of the line from their song, "My City Was Gone" -- "... Going back to Ohio" [insert kick-butt bass line here] "but my city was gone."

* * *
Kick some SOA butts back East there old buddy :-)

Yeah, well ... I'm here. I have profound disagreement with my colleague in this endeavor. This morning I more or less lost my temper -- he continues to push for more and more of these workshops. His style is this: he pushes and pushes -- all with a contrived "Gosh ... I'm just a dummy" persona -- and any pushback is met with not-too-thinly-veiled threats that he'll go elsewhere and make sure it's well known who wasn't "cooperative."

I've had it. His style is to throw as much factoids up as possible. The more the better. Any suggestions that I know a few things about education, and that I don't think certain elements of the workshop are working, are responded to with utter dismissal of my opinion as having any merit whatever.

I am, as you can tell, frustrated. What I'm trying to assess is how much of this is my pride? Probably more than I want to admit.

No comments: