Thursday, December 14, 2006

Finding Nemo

You know, for the life of me I can't seem to get my rational brain to take control of the irrational side. In one sense it's kind of fascinating. I wonder why our brains are wired this way?

Interesting question. There are always various levels to the "why?" question, and possible answers as well, so I think your (I assume) rhetorical question could be answered in any number of ways:

1. The structure of our brains is a mish-mash of circuitry, containing some mutations that worked well, others not so well, giving rise to differing behaviours and this is what we are left with

2. Because we'd be far less entertaining to watch if we didn't have conflicting emotions

3. Each of us has a divine spark inside that competes with the devil inside

4. We are made in the image of God, so are triune in nature

5. Something else

You, like all of us in the west, live in difficult times. We are bombarded by marketing and advertising that says we should be wealthy, fit, sexually vigorous into old age and have all the latest toys. As humans we have some basic needs, two of those are for security and power (in however small a quantity, everyone has thoe needs). But because we are tiny cogs in massive machinery, we often feel powerless to satisfy these needs - so in reality we don't feel that secure or important. We're creatures designed to forage for food and basically look after ourselves, and yet we can't do that in modern society, we are reliant on many others (eg. our bosses, our doctors, the ATM working) and this all leads to fear, and of course - as George Lucas as Yoda rightly pointed out - that is the path to hate and suffering and war, and the dark side in general.

So don't feel too bad, I sometimes wonder if my undercurrent of fear is that I don't really trust myself to look after and provide for my daughter, but I will do my best. Of course, if I didn't have that fear I'd have some other fears of course.

It's like the starving human being in Africa, if they are worrying about where the next meal is coming from they are unlikely to worry about string theory. It's only when we have the basic needs covered that we start worrying about things of a "higher" nature. I realized in hopsital that in the end, there aren't many things worth worrying about, and "staying alive" is a powerful drive indeed and forces out most other worries from the brain.

+++

Yes I am familiar with The Addams Family TV show and watched it as a kid. In fact one of Katherine's friends came as Morticia to her Halloween Party this year. I have to 'fess up though and say I can't see the likeness to Chrissie.

+++

And hmm, there clearly is a certain type of woman you are attracted to buddy !

+++

I haven't heard of Apocalypto the movie, I doubt I will get to see it soon, I only go to see kids films, which isn't all that bad - I have an excuse to be there! Note that most kids films, these CGI cartoons, seem to be turning into the same movie, like there is only "one" story, a successful formula that we see again and again and again .... that is why kids films like Finding Nemo are so refreshing, it's because they break the mold, and are well done.

No comments: