Saturday, November 11, 2006

The rich declare themselves poor

A struggle is coming? So why did Rumsfeld go? Is now really the time to leave the battlefield?

+++

Why do humans form groups and then those groups go and fight eachother? "Them" and "us". Groups. "We". It's like children in the playground. Time and time again we see it, in team sports for instance. If it wasn't religion they were fighting over it would be something else, a football, some land, with one side wanting to have more than the other.

I'm also reminded about that episode of The Simpsons where they added a new dialling code to the Springfield telephone exchange and people looked down on those that had "the wrong" dialling code. As you said, and I paraphrase, life is The Simpsons is life.

I don't want any better than my fellow human being. The trouble is I don't want any worse either - and we all have our own, and often different, sense of what is "worse".

I feel totally helpless to change the situation (potentially another character flaw in myself) so just want to go and live on as island alone somewhere and paint. But I'd miss my daughter and she needs me, so I don't. I think having kids keeps one grounded in the struggle that is living in society.

No comments: