Monday, November 20, 2006

Pain

It's 8:38 PM. A full 6 hours since the completion of my extraction. I've taken nary a one prescribed pain killer, nor a Tylenol or an aspirin. I feel fine. No ache in my jaw ... nothing.

I'm waiting for it to hit. Is it possible that it won't?

* * *
Sunday night, when I was suffering with what I suspect was a migraine triggered by the tooth, I caught a glimpse of what people with chronic pain must go through. For instance, the pain you suffered when the cancer was pushing against your sciatic nerve. And as the knife-edge of pain shot through my temple to behind my ear, I thought: "I can surely see how people can become addicted to effective pain killers."

The pain finally subsided last night. I got up and took three aspirin. I don't know if that was what broke the pain or not. But when it went away I fell asleep. When I awoke, my tooth was aching in a more traditional manner, and that I could deal with.

* * *
For the first time in my life I had nitrous oxide administered to me during the procedure. The doctor could tell I was somewhat anxious. It wasn't so much the pain, for I knew they'd deaden the area with lidocaine. No, my anxiousness was due to what I knew would transpire: strong pressure and the sound of bone crunching. I can't explain why I was anxious about that, but I was. The doctor spotted that, and suggested I use a little NOS. I honestly don't know if it really made much of a difference. I did not break out into hysterical laughter.

* * *
Good luck in Wales. I don't know what you're doing there, but I'm sure you'll do it well.

No comments: