Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Large Surface Ships

I wonder if their days are numbered. The battleships are gone, as ship-to-ship warfare is now done entirely with aircraft and guided missles. I can see the need for aircraft carriers as mobile airfields. But I imagine they must be horribly vulnerable to missle attack. Perhaps there's some incredible anti-missle technology I don't know about.

* * *
Now that Saddam is to be put to death it sort of vindicates Bush slightly, will this have a bearing on the election?

I doubt it. The U.S. is an almost evenly-divided electorate, with a slim 5% to 10% in the middle that ends up deciding the elections. They often are "undecided" to the last minute. That means they have given almost no thought to the issues and ramifications, and more often than not base their vote on something revolving around their narrow self-interests.

I have no idea why anyone would spend $10M to be a U.S. Senator. Something like 50% of their time is spent fundraising for the next go-around. They earn just a tad more than you and I do. The only thing I can think of is the after-service perks such as lucrative consulting gigs and such. Or maybe there's just a lot of value to these people to be addressed as "Senator."

But what about County Clerk of Pima County?

I should talk -- I was president of my homeowners' association in Virginia. Why? I like to say it was because it afforded me the opportunity to make sure others didn't ruin my neighborhood. But in truth there was a lot more pride involved.

* * *
I had my first and perhaps only interview for the senior stuff. Seemed to go well, but I'm exposed to do lack of big-customer, big-dollar deal brokering. I really am not concerned or worried ... I can only offer what I have done and what I do, and nothing more. If what I've done is not sufficient qualification, then so be it. Honestly, that's where I sit in my mind.

No comments: