Sunday, November 05, 2006

"Damn it, Jim ... I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!"

Ah, silicone. Yes ... I believe the Horta was based on this. :-)

* * *
Water is one of those things pointed to as evidence of a Creator. I don't recall all the specifics of it, but apparently the presence of water in liquid form is a somewhat rare thing in what we know of our universe. If the earth were just a bit closer to the sun, our oceans would boil off; if we were a bit more distant our oceans would freeze. Or something like that. I don't know how valid an argument that is.

* * *
The motorcycle is working out okay. I went for a 250 mile ride yesterday. I have come to conclude that my preference for riding is long tours on open highways. (As opposed to cruising the city boulevards or "carving canyons" on sport bikes.) That said, the model of bike I purchased isn't optimal. It's adequate, but not optimal.

A better choice would have been the Honda Goldwing:


But that's a darn expensive bike ($20K US for the basic model). Many people I speak with say the Honda ST1300 -- "ST" for "Sport Tourer" -- is a fine compromise between sport bike and touring bike:

That's a bit more reasonable at $14K new. Those I speak with say it's every bit as comfortable for long days riding as the Goldwing, but I can't hardly believe it. The Goldwing is like riding in a "comfy chair." And the "wind management" of the Goldwing is exceptional.

Ah ... silly dreams.

* * *
I'm off to Atlanta today to help teach the SOA workshop. This is the last running of the class ... no more are scheduled and I won't permit any more to be scheduled. Or, I won't participate in any more that are scheduled. That's how much I disagree with the format of this workshop. :-)

No comments: