Sunday, November 26, 2006

Honda Goldwing Rental

On Saturday I rented a 2005 Honda GL1800 Goldwing and took it for a 320 mile tour. Here's me on the bike at the rental place:



That bike is a beast -- 800 pounds, 1800cc with six cylinders. You'd think that bike would be good only for open ride riding, but terrible for close quarter, slow speed maneuvering.

You'd be wrong.

The Goldwing is the most remarkably nimble bike I've ever been on. Slow speed, medium speed, high speed -- doesn't matter.

Back in 2002 Honda completely re-engineered the Goldwing. They sent the frame design responsibilities over to their sport bike group, who came up with an aluminum sport bike frame. They shortened the wheelbase and modified the rake of the front. After they did that, they sent the design to the fitment folks who tarted it up with fairings and bags.

The Goldwing is a sport bike at heart. It tours exceptionally well.

I'd love one ... one day I may have one. But at $20K new it's a bit pricey for my tastes.

No comments: