Monday, November 13, 2006

Natural Disposition

Me: ... there's something about my disposition that just finds everything a struggle. It's been that way for as long as I can remember. There are brief periods where the struggle abates, but it always returns.

You: ... Two questions 1) What that's all about then? and 2) is it something unique to your good self or does everyone feel that way but keeps quiet about it? (for whatever reason ...)

Answer to #1 -- I have no real good handle on what that's all about. But I do love the way you phrased that ... so British. "What's that all about then?" It's the "then" at the end of that which makes it so British. :-)

Answer to #2 -- I suspect there's a good many people who suffer in silence with this. There are also a good many people who seem to have a sunny, devil-may-care attitude. They too may be hiding their true feelings.

* * *
As for Sacha Baron Cohen ... there was a news story out today saying that those "trapped" by Cohen are upset by it. One -- a news producer at a TV station in Jackson, Mississippi -- apparently lost her job after having allowed Cohen on the air live. I guess a producer does have the responsibilty to make certain anyone they let on the air will act responsibly. I have a sneaking suspicion the producer did interview Cohen prior to letting him on the air, and I'd be willing to bet he behaved in a way entirely different from how he behaved when on camera.

One of the writers on National Review Online called the movie one of the five funniest of all time. I don't get it. I honestly and truly don't see how that's possible. As I mentioned, the audience at the screening I attended didn't laugh all that much. Some, but not nearly as much as I witnessed for a movie like, for instance, Dodgeball.

I thought the movie South Park was far funnier. I laughed so hard during that I couldn't breathe. I liked Team America, but didn't think it was quite as good as South Park. So I'm not averse to crude humor.

I am averse to bad humor.

And very averse to hurtful "humor."

No comments: