Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Young Americans

You wrote:

What's more terrifying: nothing at all, or a Holy God who will judge one's every act and every thought?

The latter is far far more terrifying. I believe that I know what it is like to not exist, I think that I did that for approximately 5,113,500,000,000 days during the existence of this universe - and it holds no terror for me.

You can see the problem with this:

“I didn’t ask to be born God, surely you should put me back into the state that I was in before you incarnated me? If I had asked to have been born then I guess it’s fair enough for you to judge me. But as I believe that I didn’t ask to be born, why send me to an eternity of pain, just because I did not believe in Jesus Christ?”

On:

What's the value of "American Values" if they're not God's values?

Huh? I'm sure that God believes that we all have the right to drink Pepsi.

But seriously, first of all, what are “American Values”? Is there such a generalized set of values? Does anybody know? If there are, are they the same as those espoused in the puppet-movie “Team America” (a film which I could not help laugh at)? In this movie American soldiers are defeating terrorists, they always get their man. At one point they destroy the majority of Paris, but it’s ok as they get their bearded terrorist. This is quite a satirical insight into how the rest of the world (outside of the coalition) sees American foreign policy.

But you’re absolutely right, the question is a non-sequitur, it is the wrong way around, it should be “Do American Values undermine those of God”?

Current song: “I'm afraid of Americans" - David Bowie

++++

I saw the Netscape 8 announce (thank you slashdot!) I even went to download it and the first thing I saw was a security alert on the new rendering engine so I think I will wait a while.

No comments: