Sunday, May 29, 2005

"For Yoda So Love the World..." -- Jedi 3:16

No, it doesn't suprise me at all that there'd be 390,000 people who'd respond with "Jedi" as their religion. I'll bet there'd be similar numbers (perhaps greater numbers) here in the United States. What would be interesting is to ask them what that religion entails ... what exactly they believe in subscribing to "Jedi" as their religion. I doubt it would there's be much agreement from one follower of Jedi to the next. "The Force" might be a common theme, but then ask them what "The Force" is.

* * *
Allow me to rephrase my earlier statement -- either Jesus is God incarnate; crucified, dead, and now alive again; given full dominion and authority over all ... or he's a dead Jewish carpenter.

* * *
The movie buzz I'm hearing is that "Cinderella Man," a story of a depression-era yoeman boxer named Jim Braddock who defeated heavyweight champion Max Baer in 1935, is a terrific movie. It opens in a week, I think, but the pre-release buzz is strong. It's directed by Ron Howard (of "A Beautiful Mind" and "Apollo 13" fame) and stars Russell Crowe and Renee Zellweger. I like Russell Crowe's acting. For the longest time I thought Renee Zellweger was a lightweight, but she's impressed me of late. That's one I'll probably go see. I won't be seeing the Star Wars movie ... just have no interest at all.

In thinking about the time setting of "Cinderella Man," my mind went back to the original Star Trek series and the "City on the Edge of Forever" episode. That's the one when the Enterprise comes upon a sort of time portal (which ran WebSphere), through which went a drug-deranged Dr. McCoy. It's set in the depression era and starred Joan Collins as Edith Keeler. A quiet memorable episode.

"Assassins!" -- Dr. McCoy

"He knows, doctor. He knows." -- Mr. Spock.

No comments: