Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Pre-Existence Existence

I saw the movie "Team America," and I laughed probably as much as you did. The movie skewered pretty much everybody -- on the left and the right. In that sense it's a lot like the cartoon called "South Park," which is in the United States but I don't know if it's seen anywhere else. They have no sacred cows. It's hilarious.

* * *
Interesting question ... since I did not ask to be created, does that mean I should not be held responsible for my actions after having been created? Extend the logic -- if the argument is one should not be held accountable in the afterlife for not believing in Jesus Christ, why then should one be held accountable in this life for committing a series of horrible murders? Honestly, what's the difference?

That's not a foolish question ... it gets back to the basic issue of morality: if God exists, and he is the omnipotent creator we believe him to be, then of course he has the right to establish what is right and wrong. If belief in Christ is his dictate, who are we to say it's unfair to hold us accountable just because we were created?

Note: actually, the issue is considerably more complex if one subscribes to the doctrine of the elect. If the decision as to who will believe and who will not is made prior to creation, and I was created as one of the non-elect, then why should I be punished for eternity for not believing in something I was not pre-determined to believe. See that dilemma? I don't have a clue how to answer that.

If, on the other hand there is no original creator, no surpreme being, no moral authority ... then how exactly are we to determine right from wrong? Logically there is absolutely no way one can say there is a notion of right or wrong if there isn't a level at which the issue is definitively resolved. I know most reject that logic, but it truly is inescapable.

* * *
I'm watching a show on TV about Alaskan King Crab fishing in the Barring Sea. Supposedly it's the most dangerous profession on earth. Pitching seas, frozen decks, frigid waters, and 500 pound crab cages slamming to and fro on the deck. The crew fishes frantically for 72 straight hours, and one false step could mean being pitched into the icy waters to almost certain death. All for crab. It's good, I'll admit. But I'd just as soon have a chip-butty. Hmmmmm ... good!

No comments: