Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Will Satan go to Heaven?

Broadband here is so fast as compared to the UK. Here I can send a 4mb file via email in less than 5 seconds. The hotel 4mb free service makes my 512K at home seem crummy - I feel like the UK is in the dark ages!

In “The Beautiful Simplicity of the Gospel” you wrote that Christianity is not a test. I started mulling on the problem of whether or not Christianity was a test in August 2003 and I came to the conclusion some time in the summer of 2004 that indeed it was a test. I know that such a view is not the generally acceptable view held by Christians. There are hints to my conclusion in the Bible too, in fact you quote from Romans 8 “Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus”.

The key phrase I’d like to focus on here is “those who are in Christ Jesus”.

What does being in “Christ Jesus” mean to you?

To me it means “those who pass the daily tests to remain in Christ Jesus”. I believe it to be time dependent.

Take the following scenario if you would kind sir:

1. Serial killer kills serially
2. Serial killer repents, believes, and is now in “Christ Jesus”
3. Serial killer spends 10 years in “Christ Jesus”
4. Serial killer then resumes killing spree
5. Serial killer dies before repenting again

Does the killer go to Heaven? In addition, what if someone who is currently in "Christ Jesus" commits the unforgiveable sin (which you and I both know, but would not tempt anyone else to commit it by pointing it out). When dealing with Biblical inerrancy one has to be dogmatic. Which is one of the reasons I am not an “inneracist” as that allows me to avoid being dogmatic. Dogmatism does not fit with the relativity of truth to God.

Just to believe in Christ is not enough. Satan and Hitler both believe(d) in Christ. I assume that after the events in Revelation Satan does not go to Heaven. I don't know about Hitler.

One of my favourite quotes from The Bible is from Isaiah:

See, I have refined you, though not as silver; I have tested you in the
furnace of affliction.

Isaiah 48:10 (New International Version)

Just search for the word “test” or “tested” in The Bible my good friend.

The other thing I must make clear is that I am not attacking your cornerstones in any way (I could not and would not), to believe is a beautiful thing – I just love to debate with you.

More on your #3 later !

Current Song: “Born to Run” – Bruce Springsteen (it's allowed, I am in the USA).

No comments: