Friday, March 25, 2005

Difficult Things

First, I think it's important that I admit and confess that I am by no means a trained theologian or Biblical scholar. Goodness, I'm wrestling with this every bit as much (and perhaps more) than you. So what's the basis for some of the assertions I make in this 'blog? Mostly not my own. Or, more precisely, not originally my own. I hold them now, but I did not come up with them out of nothing.

As I sat here and prepared to answer the questions in your last two posts, I started thinking about who has influenced me the most when it comes to doctrinal things. The question of who has inspired me the most from the perspective of genuine Christian humility as lived out in their daily lives is a quite separate question. I'll provide a short bullet list for the first question; I'm still thinking about the second.

Here's who has shaped my Christian worldview the most:
  • C. S. Lewis -- early on, in particular. It was reading him that helped me realize that the Christian faith was not an un-thinking belief.
  • John R. W. Stott -- particularly his book "Basic Christianity," which is by no means a basic text. That was the first book I'd read that made no promises that the Christian faith was either easy or one-sided. The chapter on "Counting the Cost" was particularly direct.
  • Alistair Begg -- the pastor at a church in Cleveland, Ohio, his radio ministry caught my ear one day and I've purchased several of his tape series. Scottish by birth and conviction, he is unapologetic about the "all-or-nothing" nature of Christianity.
  • R.C. Sproul -- his book "The Essential Truths of the Christian Faith" laid out for the first time for me a systematic structure for Christian doctrine and theology. Much of what is written there I'd heard elsewhere, but this put it into one place. I am now quite enamoured with Sproul's tape messages. His work on "The Holiness of God" was strikingly compelling to me.
So, as I've written, my thoughts shared here are based in large measure on influence had from these gentleman. And no doubt they built their worldview on people before them. (For C. S. Lewis that would be George MacDonald, and to a lesser degree, G.K. Chesterton, both by his own admission.)

* * *
Your initial post -- "Are We There Yet?" -- hovered around some very basic (but definitely not simple) questions of the Christian faith:
  • Does God choose us or do we choose God?
  • Is there a limit on the number of people who are saved?
  • Is there a point beyond which we no longer have an opportunity to be saved?
  • Is it possible that everyone is ultimately saved?
I am extraordinarily reluctant to go into these in any real depth. I am reluctant for two reasons: one, as I cited earlier, I am no expert and these are very thorny issues. And two, these are contentious issues and I by no means wish to spark an argument or unsettle any seeking person who may be reading this. I'll try not to approach this dogmatically.

Choose or Be Chosen

At the center of this discussion lies the doctrine of Grace. Our salvation is based on a forgiveness rooted in Grace. As I have come to understand it, Grace is defined as "unmerited favor." That we are in God's favor when we are granted eternal life is a given; that the favor that's granted us by God is entirely undeserved by us and God was under no obligation whatever to grant it often causes people some difficulty. The undeserved nature of God's forgiveness is based on our nature, which is inherently sinful. In the economy of God's perfect justice, what we deserve is eternal damnation. What we receive is his mercy.

Note: in R.C. Spoul's tape message on the "Holiness of God," he drew a distinction between justice and mercy. The two are not the same thing. Sproul said, "When you say your prayers at night, never, ever ask for God's justice. You might just get it." I've come to understand what Sproul was getting at.

When we come to trust in Christ, the Grace we receive is not "earned" because of our profession or our baptism. There is no fundamental transaction that occurs, whereby an effort on my part obligates God to reciprocate with Grace. To hold that belief would be to strip God of his sovereign place in this existence.

So we are faced with a logical dilemma: if we hold that by our acts we secure for ourselves God's Grace, we reduce God by determining at least one thing for which he is not sovereign. Yet if we grant God his rightful sovereignty, we then must answer the questions: who has God chosen? How many are there?

I do not have answers for those questions. This is why the "Doctrine of the Elect" is so difficult to grapple with -- there is a fundamental tension between this doctrine and the doctrine of Free Will. I am led to understand it is not an irreconcilable tension. But the explanation is one I am incapable of articulating.

The Atheist Who Sees Jesus After Death

You posed the hypothetical about the atheist who never trusts Christ in this lifetime, but stands before him on the day of judgment. The atheist at that time chooses to place his trust in Jesus. Does he get into heaven?

When I hear this line of inquiry I often hear a reference to this:

Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. (NIV, Philippians 2:9-11, a ref: Isaiah 45:23)


And the argument is that we will all be given one last chance at the day of judgment to see Christ for who he is and to claim his as our Lord.

I'm not so sure. I say that simply because such a belief seems to run counter to the rest of the Biblical teaching about spreading the Gospel message and coming to faith in Christ in this life. I have also never heard a pastor or Bible teacher even hint that come the day of judgment people will be given one last chance. My reading of that verse is that come the day of judgment, all people -- including those who have rejected Christ as Lord -- will come to realize the Truth and see Christ in all his Glory. But if they had heard the Gospel and rejected Christ in this life, then their time for choosing has passed.

Note: this is where many choose to paint Christianity with a broad of brush of exclusivity, a "we're in and you're out" form of discriminatory association. Again, some "Christians" certainly behave as if they believe this. But the Bible teaches us to pray for everyone that they might come to faith in Jesus and be saved. The door is there, and it's open. Let us then pray that those who have not yet seen the door recognize it and go and embrace Christ as their saviour.

Is Everyone Saved?

If the granting of Grace is God's sovereign choice, is it possible that he has chosen to save everyone? Some hold to that belief. They're called "Universalists." The Bible doesn't teach that, but that's what the Universalists believe.

Genesis 1:26

The "Let us..." in that is frequently considered a reference to the Triune nature of God -- Father, Son and Holy Spirit. I've read other accounts that claim that ascribing that meaning to it grants too much to the sentence. Bruce Milne's "Know the Truth" suggests that it is one of many references to the Trinity throughout the Bible. I can't think of any other explanation for it ... can you?

As for the "in our image" language, I think you are right to use that to hold out hope that your understanding of God might increase based on this. Mankind is clearly different from the animal world in our ability to create things of beauty for beauty's sake; to exhibit selfless acts, even sacrificially; to have the ability to know God and to love him on a personal level. We should be careful never to think that we hold these attributes to the same degree of perfection as does God. You write of experiencing certain emotions, and wonder if God too experiences them. The Bible suggests that he does. But whereas your exercise of those emotions is tainted with sinful undertones, God's is not. That is why God's wrath is Holy -- different, above, set apart -- our notion and practice of anger.

* * *
It is Good Friday, my brother. On this day some 2000+ years ago the hands and feet of Jesus Christ were nailed to a cross. On this day some 2000+ years ago God gave his only Son so that we -- you and me -- may have eternal life through our trust that what Christ did on the cross was complete. We have nothing more to add. All we must do is trust.

Sunday is Easter, the day our Lord rose again. Praise be to God Almighty.

No comments: