Friday, March 11, 2005

My Six Cornerstones of Belief

I have been pondering something for a long time. We've touched upon this before. It has to do with those things we feel are the very core -- the fundamental cornerstones -- of the Christian faith. I refer to these as the "3 x 5 Card Principles," meaning that if forced by economy to jot it down on a 3x5 card, these would be those things that made the 3x5 card.

These are the things I cling to, for were these to fall, the rest of the structure falls as well.

Why these things keep circling around in my mind, I can't say. But it's been forming for several years now, and new things come in and add to the detail behind the list. But the list itself has changed little over the past few years. Summarized, my six cornerstones are:
  • God's Revelation: Three Methods - Nature, Conscience, Written Word
  • The Bible: God's Divine Written Revelation
  • The Nature of God: Set Apart, or "Holy"
  • The Nature of Man: Sinful Beyond Our Ability to Mend
  • God's Solution: Grace Through Jesus Christ
  • Our Response: Grateful Surrender

What I wish to do in subsequent posts is to go into some of the details of thought that exist behind each of these. Recently the topic of God's "Holiness" has been boiling in my mind. I never before realized how truly critical an understanding of God's Holy nature is to the remainder of the faith. These things stir in my mind; I seek expression.

* * *

Please pray for Eric and Joyce. Pray for their marriage; pray for each of them. Pray that whatever haunts Joyce's memories be overcome by the healing strength of the Holy Spirit. Pray that through this experience the two of them come closer to Christ, our Lord and our Savior.

Pray also that I might be a vessel of God's Holy workings; that I might cast off my foolish pride and simply be His to guide and direct in the aid and service of Eric and Joyce.

May all the Glory be His, now and ever after.

In Christ's Glorious and Holy Name.

No comments: