Saturday, March 05, 2005

Is Any Sin Too Small ... or Too Big?

Good thoughts, brother. If you'll permit me, I'm going to operate on what is purely my gut instinct on this, without any particular reference to Bible passages. (Though definitely operating within the broad context of the Bible, as I understand it.)

Adultery
The quote you provide from Matthew 5:28 is Jesus speaking. We have to remember the nature of the opposition he faced. The Pharisees were terrifically interested in close and precise readings of the law. They sought to invalidate Christ's teachings by seeking loopholes (for instance, when one asked Jesus what the definition of one's "neighbor" was when considering the commandment to love one's neighbor as one's self. Jesus' response was the parable of the "Good Samaritan," and the message was, essentially, "Your neighbor is everyone, even people you despise. Try to find a loophole in that!" (I paraphrased, obviously.)

The same must have applied to the commandment to avoid adultery. I believe what Jesus was teaching was that God's original purpose for that commandment extended well beyond the physical act of having sexual intercourse with one not one's wife. Hence the teaching that even looking at another woman lustfully is itself a violation of the sacred and holy covenant of marriage. From my own experience I know for a fact that excessive indulgence in leering looks at other women has a negative impact of the way I view my own wife. It is clearly better that I not do it than to do it.

Am I programmed to do it? Well, I'm not so sure. Or, more precisely, I'm not so sure that if I am, that was God's original design. It might well be a manifestation of my fallen nature. Who can really say? But if we are to believe the God created man initially in his image, and that initially (pre-fall) man was without sin, then it follows that Adam before the fall did not have such an urge.

Note: Of course, that begs the question -- would he have had the urge had their been other women other than Eve. See? I'm as capable as the next chap in coming up with difficult challenges to scripture! :-)

Even within the framework of our present condition I'm not so sure I'm inescapably programmed to lust after women. Lust I do, but each time I'm fairly aware of a brief moment in time when I could forego the exercise if I chose to do so. My problem is I too often choose to go ahead and indulge, despite my knowledge of it being a conscious decision at the time. What we're talking about here is the classic, "The first look is natural; the second look is a sin." You know what I'm talking about here -- your eye is caught by an attractive women, and you turn your eyes. Then there's a temptation to look again.

Relative to Matthew 5:38, we must also remember that one of the objectives of Christ's "Sermon on the Mount" was to impress upon the listeners that what God expected was nothing short of perfection. The rebuttle is usually: "But nobody is perfect!" Precisely the point. Therefore, since nobody is perfect, everyone needs a saviour.

Note: see my next post on this ... I found the point made there particularly compelling.

An interesting twist to this concern the unmarried man. Is it a sin to lust after a woman who is unmarried when the man himself is also unmarried. Here we get into the question of what's in the man's heart. Consider two scenarios, both concerning an unmarried man who spies an attractive woman:
  • In the first scenario he makes note of her attractiveness. He remembers that sexual relations outside of marriage is a violation of God's will. He asks God for help from allowing his sinful nature to get the better of him. He then strikes up a conversation with the woman and the normal (and quite natural) process of courting takes place.
  • In the second scenario he makes note of her attractiveness. He then imagines what she looks like without her clothes on, and then imagines what it is like to have sex with the woman. He then allows his mind to wander to considering more and more permissive sexual acts. All the while, God is nowhere within the man's thoughts. His focus is almost entirely on gratification of the flesh.
You tell me: which of the two violates Jesus' commandment as expressed in Matthew 5:28?
Divorce
Note: I have to offer -- as a matter of full disclosure -- that I am a divorced man myself. Whether that affects my objective view of this is open to debate.

I can recall a discussion that ensued in a Bible study course I was involved with. The topic was divorce, and one of the women was very concerned. She had once before divorced and was now remarried.

The thought that entered my mind -- and remains -- is this: assume divorce is a sin ... is it a sin too big to be covered by God's Grace? The answer is, of course, no. There is no sin of man too big to be covered by God's Grace. The Bible speaks of only one unforgiveable sin -- blaspheming the Holy Spirit -- and there's tremendous debate about what that actually means. The bottom line is that God's Grace soars above all that, and the sacrificial blood of Christ is capable of covering even the most heinous of sins, which divorce is, by comparison, not.

Note: Grace is a fascinating topic. "Grace," traditionally understood, is unmerited favor, granted by God to man, completely at the will and favor of God himself. Therein lies the answer to the common challenge to the Christian faith:
Q: Is a baby born sinful?
A: Yes
Q: If a baby dies before 'knowing Christ,' are they therefore guaranteed to go to hell?
A: No, not guaranteed. God's Grace is not 'earned,' even by adults. God is perfectly free to extend his Grace to an infant who dies in inherent sinfulness.
When it comes to salvation, sin is a binary thing -- either one is perfect (without sin) or one is not perfect (has sinned, is sinning, will one day sin). That's the "good news" of the Gospel -- yes, we are not perfect. God knows that. Yet he gave his only Son so that through him we might be granted forgiveness of our sins and be credited with the full righteousness of Christ himself.

Let me hear an "Amen!" :-)

Do I believe that by divorcing my first wife I committed a sin? Yes. Do I feel that it is one that can be forgiven through Grace? Absolutely. Should I therefore think I can divorce and remarry as often as I please? Of course not, no moreso than I think I should commit any sin as often as I please. We've had this discussion before -- the problem with sin for the regenerated Christian is not that it jeopardizes his salvation. The problem is really that for the truly regenerated Christian, continued sin -- particularly willful sinning -- drives a wedge between the Christian and God, preventing the Christian from growing in his faith and manifesting the full measure of the fruits of the Spirit.

This is why I give thanks to the Lord for granting me the conviction of heart from my first marriage so that I might carry a greater reverence for the sanctity of marriage into my second. I truly believe that my marriage now is for life, and that it is not only a covenant between Lisa and me, but between the two of us and God himself.

Is divorce wrong? Yes. Should one divorce casually, without reflection and regard for the offense committed before God? Absolutely not. Can God forgive one who divorces and therefore sins? Yes. Does God favor repeated divorces? No, nor does He favor repeated stealing, idolatry, covetousness ... well, you get the picture.
How does that explanation rate relative to the one given by your pastor?

No comments: