Saturday, July 29, 2006

Poor Willy Loman

I'm not as much a fan of the theory of natural selection as are you ... on the scale between genetics and environment, I favor environment a bit more. In other words, I'm not so sure that conditions in my upbringing aren't more a factor in this than my genetics.

In the category of "When Life Gives You Lemons ... Make Lemonade," my cautious nature provides a positive upside: by carefully considering all the details and nuances I generally come to a pretty good understanding of things. Unfortunately, my conclusions are usually finalized days after the customer has already gone with my competitor. But darn it, the conclusion is pretty sound. :-)

* * *
I am not good at crisis management situations for the same reasons. The worst conceivable job for me would be "duty manager" for the crit-sit desk.

* * *
It is raining hard and steady here in Tucson ... a good soaker. It rained much the same yesterday, and later in the day I went for a motorcycle ride out into the back country. What I saw astonished me -- huge "lakes" of standing water; "rivers" flowing through their normally dry riverbeds. What I want to know is this: Where does that water ultimately go? Does it get absorbed into the underground aquifer before it reaches a permanent river?

The water management issue here in the desert southwest fascinates me. I believe that the water present is precious. I do not believe it is in as short a supply as is sometimes suggested. I believe there is a bit of "conservation psychology" at work, which is fine. It's needed ... I see some pretty outrageous examples of water waste.

* * *
The "SOA for Dummies" book arrived ... it's actually a subset of the bigger book: a marketing teaser to buy the bigger version. But it's still very good. I'm generally not a fan of the "Dummies" books. They often write in six pages what could be better summarized in one paragraph. But this book does a fair job. I will probably style my "Intro" presentation around the main concepts offered in this book.

* * *
Report on your travels and adventures in the coming weeks! Tell me was "Lies to Children" you perform. :-)

No comments: