Sunday, July 23, 2006

Philosophy of The World

I was quite impressed by The Shaggs music in actual fact - there is some off beat talent there I would suggest - thanks !

Plus. I was glad to see them list their philosophy as:

  1. Never judge others until you've walked a mile in their footsteps.

  2. Do as Thumper's parents say: If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

  3. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

  4. Live by the golden rule: Do unto others as you would like others to do unto you.
Not easy to achieve any of those. #2 is potentially too relative, I mean how does one agree on what is meant by "nice" ?

#3 is interesting, I would summarise it as "if you are guilty of something then don't attack others doing the same thing and try to make them feel guilty". This leads to an interesting point, "why do some people feel different levels of guilt?" and "why do some people have different expectations to other people?" Is it just a phenotypical response (what your are taught) or is there a genotypical element in there? I would say the latter but I'm not sure.

When someone says "I am a good mother" (for instance) what does that say about the person? Some folks are happy to be good at something but would never say it out loud, it's evidenced by their actions. I know two people that say "I am a good mother" and in my estimation the opposite is true in both cases. I do my best as a father but it never seems to be good enough.

Yet, in the business world we are told to sing our own praises, we can't just do the job and be recognized for it, we have to actively market ourselves. Some of us are very good at this and get rewarded (financially) and some decide not to bother. It's linked to your gibberish comment re that InfoCenter - in my opinion things are way out of whack - I wonder when we will all wake up and say "Hey, the emperor is butt naked!!"

+++

A good face for memories: this can mean at least two things a) you are famous or b) there is something about the way you look that is instantly recognizable, perhaps "jug ears" or "broken nose" or "piercing blue eyes" etc.

No comments: