Friday, July 14, 2006

Layla

I learned something new tonight. I was watching a show on the roots of "Southern Rock" on one of the cable channels here, and they were covering the origins of "The Allman Brothers Band." Here's what I did not know -- Duane Allman played with Eric Clapton on most of the tracks for "Layla and Other Love Songs." At the very end of "Layla" you hear what sounds like birds chirping -- that's Duane Allman. He produced that by wearing a small glass bottle on his fret hand ring finger; a kind of slide (or whatever it's called).

I love the song "Whipping Post." What an opening bassline! And I love the song "Melissa."

What are your thoughts on "The Allman Brothers?" How about "Lynyrd Skynyrd?"

Another confession -- I love the sound of those old early electric organs on rock music. You can hear some of that on Janis Joplin's "Me and Bobby McGee."

No comments: