Sunday, July 30, 2006

Nature vs. Nurture

Over on my favorite political website -- www.nationalreview.com -- they were having a debate amongst themselves about the degree to which parenting influences children. One contributor, John Derbyshire (English by birth; American citizen now) argued strongly for the majority influence of genetics; Jonah Goldberg took up the position in favor of parenting.

I would agree that genetics will determine the essential makeup of a child -- certainly the physical characteristics such as hair color and eye color -- but also things such as the general disposition (quiet and shy; outgoing and personable). But there is a question of the character of a child that is, I think, forged by the environment.

I malign my parents much at times, but one thing I know for certain is that my father provided me with a strong work ethic, as well as a sense of integrity. Had I been raised by a motorcycle gang bent on lawbreaking, I doubt I would have picked that up.

So ... my question to you ... where would you fall on that scale? What do you think contributes most to the ultimate outcome of a person ... nature or nurture?

No comments: