Monday, July 17, 2006

Catholicism

You wrote:
Talking about kneeling, it's now a sin to do so in Church. I mean, how are people going to get their beauty sleep now? These people are crazy nuts, see here. Another blow for organized religion, it's a good job that God is above all religions wouldn't you say? :-)
Unbelievable.

This is one of the reasons I struggle to have much respect for the Catholic religion. I use the term "religion" there intentionally ... I believe for many Catholics, they view all the trappings of their rituals as critically meaningful in and of themselves. To me, that's what religion is all about -- rituals, ceremony, things. There's nothing wrong with ritual ... it can be very powerful ... it just can't be allowed to be the central thing. And Catholicism is, in many ways, all about the ritual. So much so that many Catholics -- certainly some of the ones I've met -- adhere to the ritual out of obligation and fear with nearly no understanding of Jesus at the middle of it. My brother-in-law is an example of this ... near as I can figure, he has no faith, but he was raised Catholic and on certain days of the year he makes a pilgrimage to church, goes through the ritual, and somewhere in his mind believes that was of some value.

My problem is I've been shaped as a relatively stern Calvinist. :-)

No comments: