Sunday, July 30, 2006

Moon Bomb

I'm sure I told you how, way back in high school, me and several other dateless geeks drew up plans for a "moon bomb" -- the moon tethered to the earth, with the earth winching in the moon and dropping it smack on the Moscow. We couched the whole thing as part of a science club project and submitted the plans to then President Jimmy Carter. Our submission was done under the pseudonym of "Gunter A. Schultz."

Well, here's the response we finally got back from the U.S. Department of Defense. It's quite humorous:

Page 1
Page 2
Page 3

I wish I still had my "blueprints" ... it was famously silly. I proposed a 1 meter cable stretching from an anchor point somewhere in Nova Scotia. The 1 meter specification was simply a round number. There was absolutely no engineering that went into this effort at all.

Can you imagine Mr. William J. Perry writing this three page response to a bunch of pimply-faced teenagers?

No comments: