Saturday, July 29, 2006

The Litany Against Fear

Frank Herbert, author of the Dune novels, loved his wife very much I think. She took a long time to die of cancer, during that time Herbert wrote Dune. Perhaps it was his wife's condition that led him to elevate the religious sect of women in Dune (The Bene Gesserit) to such great heights. They had this saying they used when they were scared:

"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain."


When the hope is gone there is more than just fear left. There is an understanding that everything you are, everything you are made of has been around for the entire existence of the Universe, and that everything you have done can be seen by all of our future descendents. Each of us who die will be like martyrs - it will be such an uncommon occurence to have actually died. And our childrens childrens children ... will remake us. Fear not, I do not believe that any of us will be lost and you can't get out.

No comments: