Sunday, July 10, 2005

We will find a brighter day

I wonder where your frustration comes from? Is it possible that you feel that Christians generally do not show the proper commitment that they should show to God and Jesus?

At the home group I attended I was stunned that the good people there prayed for things that I would consider not worthy of praying for, two examples:

1. Praying for a better relationship between a builder and a homeowner (a lady was having problems with the chap building her house extension)

2. Whether or not another couple should get an extra bathroom fitted into the house for their growing teenage daughter

Oh Lord please help us in our hour of need??

Now these prayers were carried out with the correct humilty and reverence - but I felt that they totally missed the point. We are fortunately to have our comfortable middle-class lives with our comfortable middle class problems, while people are dying around us. But we don't see the death so we pray for help with our comfortable middle-class problems.

It does appear to me that Christianity in my village is a social club, designed to protect the way people want to live (which is "comfortably"), whilst provinding some kind of insurance policy against going to Hell.

So Christianity in my village is providing some sort of a "service" -- but not one that appeals to me.

+++

Now that we've been bombed again (I say "again" as the old feelings of years of IRA attacks resurfaced) I wonder if Britain's traditional tolerance of those who would speak out for anarchy will continue? Or will the government use this as a way to pass stricter homeland-security style ammendments through Parliament? Either way, when a faction would resort to such actrocities it doesn't bode well for a peaceful solution - peace can only come when both sides realise that they are on the same side - the side of "humanity".

No comments: