Monday, July 11, 2005

Expressing Opinion

There's a real tension, isn't there? Forcefully expressing one's opinion seems to simply stir up strife and disharmony. But staying mute allows others to impose their way, which sometimes isn't a very good way. This is my central tension in life. I was not equipped with a very good sense of the balance that's needed to be strong yet gracious.

* * *
I think every person has a certain "domain" they wish to control, and they cede portions of the larger domain to others. Some people appear to want to control very large domains (CEO's, politicians), others much smaller domains (meek little dweebs like me). The question that's popping around in my mind is this: does anyone really wish to turn over their entire domain? I think that runs counter to every element of human nature.

Yet that's what the Christian faith -- at least as I understand it, and apparently many others -- calls for. The difference, of course, is that it is God Almighty to whom we are to turn over our lives. Theoretically that should be an obvious thing to do. But why is it so difficult in practice? Is there an element of unbelief in it? I think perhaps there is.

* * *
I travel today ... should be back online tomorrow.

No comments: