Monday, July 11, 2005

Submission and guilt

Annoyance. Yeah I get annoyed, I used to think it happened rarely but I feel it's more often these days. I get annoyed when people treat others in a way that they themselves would not wish to be treated. Then I get annoyed and treat them in a way that I wouldn't want to be treated to show them "some kind of lesson". The "that'll learn ya" approach. Then afterwards I feel guilty and neanderthal for spreading disharmony.

I think the question is: should we bother to give our opinions forcefully? I do it, but I don't know why I bother, and it doesn't change anything, if anything it has the opposite effect, and reinforces the other persons view.

Let us pray that we can rise above this behaviour and learn a lesson.

+++

On the demand for total submission.

As a backdrop, I'm going to assume an errant Bible, because if I assume an inerrant Bible then there are billions of non-atheists who must be deluded, and I'm not so arrogant to believe that I know better than all of those people.

So where does this feeling come from that people want to submit to something? Did it start as a control control mechanism? A ruling class keeping the people down? I don't know, as it's so ingrained in me to submit, to throw my hands up and say "help", that I can't believe it can be 100% societally bred, but it could be.

Or could it come from fear? Are we so attuned to levels of danger, for purposes of survival, that we become fearful of our thoughts? And so we say we are "sinning"?

Or could it be that we make mistakes, but to avoid us saying "I'm really not that further evolved than an animal who might kill" about ourselves we say "I'm a good person really, it's just some evil spirit made me do a bad thing, and now I'm ok because God washed me clean of the bad thing because I submitted to him and repented".

Submission appears to be necessary to achieve Grace. And Grace seems to be necessary to allow us to live how we think we deserve to live. Which is without guilt.

No comments: