Sunday, July 10, 2005

A Knowledge That Haunts

Several years ago I read a book by John R. W. Stott, a fine Anglican pastor from your home turf. The book was called "Basic Christianity," but the book was anything but basic. It was hauntingly direct, which was precisely what I needed at that time to cut through the haze of syrupy religion that I saw all around me.

The book had a chapter titled, "Counting the Cost." The following paragraph took my breath away:

"Jesus never concealed the fact that his religion included a demand as well as an offer. Indeed, the demand was as total as the offer was free. If he offered men his salvation, he also demanded their submission. He gave no encouragement whatever to thoughtless applicants for discipleship."

John R.W. Stott, "Basic Christianity" page 107


To this day I can't get that paragraph out of my mind. In a few short sentences Stott put into words what in my heart I knew must be the center of the Christian faith -- submission to Jesus Christ as the Lord of my life.

Today's Sunday School really rattled me because Francois Fenelon's message was essentially this very thing. C. S. Lewis has written of this. St. Augustine. No doubt others have as well. There must be something to this; they can't be mere empty words. And yet in the span of 60 minutes I see us breeze over the top of this, and everyone nods assent, including me. And the Lord convicts my heart -- "Have you really surrendered? Or do you hold on to yourself?" The answer, I know, is that I hold on.

Today was a test, and I failed. I allowed the passions of pride and fear to cloud my thinking. The Glory of God reflected poorly through me today. I am ashamed.

Thank you for listening, brother.

Thank you.

No comments: