Sunday, July 31, 2005

Seventh day adventist?

Doing a word search on biblegateway for the word "Sunday" returns zero hits so I doubt it's from The Bible.

The first day of the week was sunday and it did seem to be a significant day for the disciples:

Eg. Acts 20:7 On the first day of the week we came together to break bread. Paul spoke to the people and, because he intended to leave the next day, kept on talking until midnight.

But also in the Acts they were meeting daily so I am not sure how significant this is.

I guess it's possible that it's Sunday because the first Jewish converts to Christianity were no longer Jews, they were now gentiles and so would not have been allowed into the synagogue on the Sabbath, but would have been allowed in the day afterwards.

I know someone who thinks that worshipping on Sunday is a false doctrine that was started by Origen in 220 AD. I have no idea whether that it is the case. He subscribes to the Didache http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/didache.html I think these people are seventh day adventists who want to bring the Sabbath back as Saturday and believe the Sunday worshippers have the mark of the Beast.

It's all too much for me! I suspect Man's word, not God's word.

No comments: