Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Motivation

My motivation for life is very high but my motivation for working for the company is maybe at an all time low. Everything I seem to do there is pointless, even the stuff that helps clients make a profit, I mean -- what's the point ??

Well of course the point is that I need to work to pay the bills, even if the work is of no intrinsic value. Perhaps this is my mid-life crisis? :) That would be funny but I had the middle of my life a long time ago.

+++

Are you still out there in the Palisades, teaching SOA? Thanks to your efforts I am beginning to get my head around what it is all about, your presentations are much appreciated !

+++

I found some resonance in this passage about the benefits of the scientific method and living with quantum mechanics in particular:

When we see an insect being tricked into thinking an orchid is a female insect we think "That orchid doesn't look anything like an insect, what a strange mistake to make", and a bat might use echo location and see us being aroused by something that simply has the texture and shape of a piece of paper but which doesn't resemble the texture or shape of a female human and wonder how we could make such a mistake.

Our common sense and intuition don't necessarily tell us what's true, especially when it doesn't relate to the world we evolved in, so we have to rely on experiments, and quantum theory constantly makes accurate predictions. If it's beyond our common sense and intuition then that's too bad for us.

One thing though, isn't the writer making the assumption that there is something called "truth"?

How can we, the programs running on the RAM, find out the true nature of the RAM? We can't can we? We can't use the tools we have been given to discern the nature of the place those tools exist in any more than M$ Word can tell that it's a sunny day outside. If we can never find the truth why do we desire it?

No comments: