Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Loosey Goosey

"Born On" date is entirely ambiguous -- it leaves it to the person to determine how long is too long."

Hmm I am surprised that is legal. Doesn't beer spoil after a certain time? Could it be a health hazzard to drink it after that? I can see the benefit of the retailer not having to throw the stuff out though. Maybe some folks think that beer is like wine? And look for aged bottles? I once opened and poured a can of lager that was 7 years past its "sell by" date. It had red lumps floating in it and looked absolutely foul! Not to be consumed.

+++

What is it about the Wii that's so good?

It's far simpler to use and the game playing experience is much more interactive. I can now actually swing the tennis bat or golf club. There are still a lot of improvements to be made, it doesn't quite match your body movements exactly enough to be ultra compelling, but I am sure they will come. The PS3 has better graphics but the PS3 six-axis controller is stuck in space, you can't go forwards or backwards, it doesn't recognize acceleration.

The PS3 is the most poweful computer I have in my house by a long way but I cannot get access to that power. Linux runs on it but it only uses the PowerPC chip in the PS3, not the cell broadband engine (with 7 SPE's - the eighth being disabled) or the ful capabilities of the GPU. When someone comes up with a Linux and some apps that can use all of the PS3 things will be fun indeed.

Note that IBM also make the broadway processor, the brain of the Wii.

+++

I am currently on unit 1a of your latest masterpiece. I got to thinking that a lot of the benefits of System z are in the fact that the components which comprise z are tightly coupled. But I see one of the value statements of SOA is that things are loosely coupled for reasons of flexibility. Maybe services are like fruits, or cars. There are lots of different types of fruit and there are lots of different models of cars. Maybe the type of service we are talking about here can contain a set of tightly coupled products or services?

No comments: