Sunday, May 14, 2006

Perfect Framework for Criticism

You know what? Sometimes I think the Christian faith is intentionally designed to offer what appears to be gaping holes in logic just so those who stubbornly insist on rebelling are given a full opportunity to do so. By that I mean this: the Christian faith has no shortage of apparent "chinks in the armour" ... places where a prideful man can point to and say, "Aha! See! A logical shortcoming!"

Important -- I am not thinking of you when I write this. I am thinking in general. I am a man who can play devil's advocate with the best of them. I see no lack of places where I could attack the faith logically. The dagger I still maintain in my sheath for those who think they can "prove" the faith is this: "Prove the validity and sufficiency of the Bible without referring to the Bible to support your position." :-)

This is why I have increasingly come to understand it is folly to argue the Christian faith as if it is a geometric proof -- if A and B, therefore C.

That's not to say the Christian faith is built on a fallacy ... far from it. What I am saying is that some of the presuppositions are not humanly evident. We are therefore left to trust -- to have faith -- that they are just so.

No comments: