Sunday, May 14, 2006

"Perfect" Vacuum

I got to thinking about your comment that there's a word for those things that are themselves best defined by the absence of something else. So I thought I'd go to my new source for such things ... Wikipedia! I looked up "vacuum."

What an utterly fascinating article.
Historically, there has been much dispute over whether such a thing as a vacuum can exist. Ancient Greek philosophers did not like to admit the existence of a vacuum, asking themselves "how can 'nothing' be something?" Plato found the idea of a vacuum inconceivable. He believed that all physical things were instantiations of an abstract Platonic ideal, and could not imagine an "ideal" form of a vacuum. Similarly, Aristotle considered the creation of a vacuum impossible—nothing could not be something. Later Greek philosophers thought that a vacuum could exist outside the cosmos, but not inside it.
So if "evil" is the absence of "good," does that mean that "perfect evil" is an abstract, unattainable thing? Does Satan possess a fractional unit of "good?"

My guess is "Yes". My reasoning is this: Satan is a created being. There is only one ultimate creator -- God. Therefore, God created Satan. Initially, Satan was good. But, given Free Will, Satan chose to drain himself of God's provided goodness. If Satan were to completely drain himself of God's provided goodness, Satan would cease to exist.

Boy, am I out of my depth now. That logical argument is probably weak on six different levels. But at its core, there must be an element of what the Wikipedia article alluded to with Plato. A perfect vacuum is inconceivable because it would be, by definition, something that doesn't exist. My head spins. :-)

No comments: