Tuesday, May 02, 2006

My City Was Gone

Except it was never "my city." But it is definitely on the downhill slide. The city is Las Vegas. I am here for the WebSphere Services Technical Conference. The last time I was here for any extended period of time was perhaps four or five years ago. At that time the Chamber of Commerce was trying to paint Vegas as a "family town," but they have apparently given that up. Now the advertising tag line is "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas." The implication is you can come to Las Vegas, be naughty, and the secret of your transgressions are safe. I have seen several television advertisements for Las Vegas that play upon this theme -- women coming home from some business meeting in Las Vegas and acting somewhat guilty in front of their husbands as they cover up what happened.

This town disturbs me greatly. On the ride from the airport I flipped through an events magazine, and one of the revues advertised showed three half-naked women with vampire teeth, Photoshopped eyes that were red and demonic-looking, and looks on their faces that might best be described as ... wicked. That was the whole point of it, of course. But there's more to this ... it's almost as if once this city gave up trying to keep the true nature of the town under wraps, it has now gone into a cycle where one level of decadence becomes boring so a new level is pursued.

This town also saddens me. I sense a sadness deep inside some of the people that are going through the motions of "having fun" in this city. It may just be me ... but I don't think so.

Last night I felt compelled to pray for those in this city -- for those who have abandoned themselves to the wickedness I prayed for God's mercy; for those who are caught up in it but in their hearts seek escape, I prayed God show them the way out.

No comments: