Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Tweener

I'm in San Antonio for the zExpo conference. Today -- Wednesday -- I went for a walk around downtown. I came upon a faux English pub and went in for a Boddington's. The beer was good. Business was slow, so the wait staff had time to chat with the customers.

I noticed something. To my left was an elderly gentleman, perhaps in his mid- to late-60's. A doctor, he said, but exactly what kind I did not know. (There's a geophysicist convention in town, so he might just be a PhD.) Two of the young waitresses were very sociably discussing stuff with him. To my right were two young turks, perhaps in their early 20's. The young female bartender was fixated on them. The older man was safe; the younger men were hot. I, being 47, was still a risk of being a dirty old man pervert and therefore to be ignored. I barely got enough attention to order my beer.

I'm a tweener ... too old to be cool; too young to be safe.

No comments: