Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Assisted Living

.. an interesting term which we saw on The Simpons today re: Grandpa and the old persons care home, it's not a term I had heard before. We all need assistance to live now and again I would say.

You know, I have heard that Linux is making a big impression in some of these homes as an internet browsing appliance to enable granpa and granma can see their kidz on YouTube no doubt. It's funny though, Bill Gates envisioned Windows as just that, but it's so trojan bound, patch ridden and poor peforming after a while (the famed Windows "half life") that savvy IT providers are realising that Linux with a read-only file system is pretty bullet and (more importantly) fool proof - not Windows. Interesting how things turn out.

+++

Onto those interesting pics:

#1 Temperate woods .. midly appealing, reminds me of the UK about 20 to 50 miles due South of London, many a happy Sunday walk.

#2 Tundra .. nice colour of sky, a little less appealing than #1 but ok, perhaps a little boring

#3 Steppe - still very nice but a little snoozy again

#4 Industrial - I like the flame, the light in the dark, but this has to be the worst of them (to me) because of what is being depicted

#5 Rain Forest - looks warm and cozy but I can't shake the Mel Gibson movie imagery, hmm the film must have made more of an impact on me than I thought

#6 Plains / Wheat Field - I am singing Sting's "Fields of Gold". I like this photo a lot

#7 Coastal Lighthouse - ok but a little scary/lonely (your 2nd fave but not mine!)

#8 Mountains - breath taking, love it (your biggest draw too) I think the colours and form are very easy on the eye

#9 Desert - Is that your backyard? Looks a little too hot !

#10 Rolling Countryside - Not a lot happening

#11 Cityscape - Yes I like it, lights again, life, human life

#12 Tropical Beach - I would be bored, where is the internet connection?? I was never really a beach person

#13 Arctic - ok, a feeling of newness ensues within me

#14 Farm Country - looks like the back of the office I work in! Too mundane

#15 Waterfall - ok but in this picture it doesn't pass the "so what?" question, whereas in real life it would be awesome

Not a lot missing, you could have had a Grand Canyon I guess, or some deep ocean trench/undersea pics?

+++

In return please answer the same question for the new seven wonders of the world:

#1 Chichén Itzá, Mexico

#2 Christ the Redeemer, Brazil



#3 The Great Wall, China



#4 Machu Picchu, Peru



#5 Petra, Jordan



#6 The Roman Colosseum, Italy



#7 Taj Mahal



+++

My daughter returns to school tomorrow into "year 6" !

No comments: