Thursday, September 06, 2007

Graduated Assisted Living

The concept of "assisted living" has been around in the States for about 20 years; but it's received a lot of attention in about the last 10 years. The leading edge of the "baby boomers" -- those born starting in 1946 through, I think, 1966 -- are starting to retire. Lots have vast quantities of financial reserves, and they're starting to make plans for elderly living. The Marriott Corporation is deep into assisted living facilities, as are other large corporate concerns. And one concept that's developed is the graduated assisted living -- a community where the degree of care you receive is graduated based on your need. From virtually no assistance all the way up to full nursing care, all based on a fee schedule, of course.

They're expensive. I have no idea how people afford them.

* * *
Pictures! I'm hampered by the fact all your pictures are man-made, and I find man-made things far less compelling than natural things. Still, I'll try to convey what goes through my mind and and heart as I review the pictures.

#1 Chichén Itzá, Mexico
Mexico has never been alluring to me. So I do not find this compelling. All I can think as I look at that picture is hot, sweltering humid heat.
#2 Christ the Redeemer, Brazil
I've been to Rio, and I saw this off in the distance, but I didn't go visit it. It's a remarkable piece of construction. But beyond that, it doesn't move me much. I suppose it should since it's Jesus, but I can't get past the Catholicism of it -- the focus on imagery rather than the underlying substance. I hope that doesn't sound too judgmental. It is clearly somewhat judgmental. :-(
#3 The Great Wall, China
Prior to going to China last year I would have found this more alluring. My experience in Beijing was not entirely pleasant -- okay, but not great -- and so now the thought of going back over there dampens my enthusiasm.

But, that aside, there are few man-made things in this world that elicit the same wonder and awe as the Great Wall ... more so than the pyramids, but a wide margin. The vastness of this undertaking is inconceivable to me.
#4 Machu Picchu, Peru
I'm not familiar with this ... but I suspect it's one of those things where the ancient city is at 14,000 feet or something like that. I very much like the remoteness of this picture. And if all issues of safety and secure travel could be set aside, I would love to visit this.
#5 Petra, Jordan
Oh, goodness. Hot, dry, dusty, desolate, hot, hot, hot. No thanks.

Plus, it's in the middle-east. And I want nothing to do with that region of the world. Jordan is relatively moderate. But still ...
#6 The Roman Colosseum, Italy
We drove by that when my lovely bride and I were on a cruise back in -- how long has it been? -- 2000? The concept of living the life of leisure as a rich Roman is appealing. (No surprise there, huh?). The achievement of that building for that time is impressive.
#7 Taj Mahal
You know, I have never, ever had an interest in going to India. I just can't past the notion of oppressive heat, dusty conditions, and overcrowded and obscene poverty.

Have you been to the Taj Mahal? Is it one of those things where the picture makes it look massive but in reality it is somewhat small? (Thomas Jefferson's house at Monticello, Virginia is that way ... the pictures make it look fairly large ... but when you walk inside you get a real sense of being cramped. You'd bump your head into door lintels. Ceilings are at 7' or something like that.
Again ... all man-made things, and my heart just doesn't stir for that. I can be suitably impressed with human engineering achievements. But to my eye, a building or a bridge or whatever can't compare to a gorge or mountain or waterfall.

* * *
Year 6, huh? You, good sir, are the papa of a little girl who is growing up. Brace yourself. :-)

* * *
I just finished an SOA workshop in Detroit. It went well enough, I suppose. I could definitely detect a sudden loss of energy in the attendees about mid-morning second day. Too much information, or something.

Still, several commented that I seem to have a natural affinity for instruction. I do enjoy it ... but only when I know the material and the audience is interested.

* * *
Twice now in as many weeks people from outside the U.S. have made commitments to hold our technical workshops without first consulting with us. They somehow got the impression our workshops are "cookie cutter" operations where they can bring workstation, host and all supporting material into their locations on their schedule without any consultation. So now I'm furiously trying to contain the breakage of our saying "no." I find it astonishing that someone would think they could lay out a 10-week, back-to-back-to-back schedule across different cities in AP and just drop that in our laps and say, "Come do this."

No comments: