Sunday, September 09, 2007

Some Like It Hot & The Apartment

Twice now in as many weeks people from outside the U.S. have made commitments to hold our technical workshops without first consulting with us

Did you notice that sometime towards the back end of the 80's that "Personnel" departments started to be renamed to "Human Resources" departments? I'm not entirely sure where this change came from, perhaps from Japan along with some misguided search for "super efficient" "top performing" organizations.

It's still alien to me to think of "human resources", it's too easy to think of them along with their oppsoite - "non-huhman resources" (ie. computers). But it's far easier to work a resource to death and to send a resource to far flung countries at the drop of a hat than it is to do with a person isn't it? Somewhere along the way we have lost a little of our humanity since we started work. Cry for the children.

+++

Are you guys following the Madeleine McCann circus? If it transpires that the parents are culpable then what does this mean for all parents who might really face this situation? A possible "Boy Who Cried Wolf" story could give paedophiles a field day. What would it mean if humans really could lie like that? Who knows. The only think I know is that the whole thing is just too sad beyond words.

+++
+++
+++
+++
+++

Movies! I love 'em.

You have seen the following movie that I have not: Ratatouille, plus my red match many of your red, typically the "foreign" movies.

I have seen a bunch more than your good self from this list, but that's only because I have a DVD collection that's not far short of 700 movies now.

I remember telling K only a week or so ago that she had so many classic movies to look forwards to, she of course asked why she couldn't see them now! I mentioned that some were not suitable, but more importantly she would not understand those movies fully yet. For some odd reason I was thinking of "American Graffiti" at the time as an example of a wonderful movie that she has yet to enjoy.

Oh man I can really recommend the following, your colours except two films which are both in my top 10, my life would be less without them :)

North by Northwest (1959)
American Beauty (1999) - you will love this!
Vertigo (1958)
Se7en (1995)
Léon (1994)
The Third Man (1949)
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)
Alien (1979)
Double Indemnity (1944)
The Maltese Falcon (1941)
Saving Private Ryan (1998)
Metropolis (1927)
Aliens (1986)
Raging Bull (1980)
Sin City (2005)
Singin' in the Rain (1952)
The Bourne Ultimatum (2007)
Some Like It Hot (1959)
The Apartment (1960)
The Big Sleep (1946)

Looking at the list they all feel like old friends, nice memories.

No comments: