Tuesday, March 07, 2006

"Morally Corrosive Doctrine"

You wrote:

I heard an objection to Christianity, that it is a morally corrosive doctrine because it undermines personal responsibility, encourages people to believe that God is going to solve all of their problems for them, kill all their enemies, and build them a whole new world.

I've heard and experienced similar things. Based on how some express and explain the basis of the faith, it's understandable why others may think this. I sometimes wonder if I might contribute to this, based on my own behavior. I hope and pray not.

I've given a lot of thought to how I might answer this. My natural tendency is to go off on a tear and essentially criticize those who think that Christianity is a "corrosive" doctrine. But I do not want to do that. The Spirit is convicting my heart not to go that route.

The trouble, it seems to me, is that the truth of faith in Christ is simply not understood. And at times I'm not sure that I truly understand it. But I sense it ... out there ... just beyond my grasp. The Lord is beckoning me to go find it, by stretching beyond the normal limits of my weak belief.

You see, Christianity is not "a religion." It is not a series of things, or acts, or even merely a logical construct of doctrinal points. It is so much more. And yet it is also a beautifully simple single point.

Can one who truly understands what Christ did for them then turn and lead of life of betrayal to Jesus? I don't see how. If one does, then I fear it means they don't really understand, nor truly believe in Jesus, despite their profession of faith. Matthew 7:21 is frighteningly plain: "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven."

What is the "will of my Father who is in heaven?" Read the Gospels and study the behavior of Jesus. He did his Father's will perfectly. No man who walks this earth as Jesus did can be called "corrosive". No man who walks counter to Jesus can be called a follower of Christ.

I am not a perfect man, nor do I follow Christ perfectly or even well. I stumble and fall and give a poor example of one who calls Jesus Lord. But a small flame has been lit in my heart, and it is not of me but of God himself. I do bad things, things contrary to the wishes of God the Father. But I do not for a minute think that God is pleased with them. And his displeasure saddens me, for what I am growing to understand is that by doing as he wishes, I am doing what is best for me. Again, as always, God is giving of his goodness and grace.

I pray for those who profess faith and trust in Christ yet claim to be then be free to live a life of willful sin. They are lost children. I honestly believe God wants them back. Jesus loves them no less. But their denial and their sin is not what's best for them, and through their disobedience and denial they are rejecting the saving grace offered by Jesus.

In Phillipians, Paul writes to the church at Phillipi:

If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.

Phillipians 2:1-4

Properly understood and embraced with one's heart, that is not a "morally corrosive doctrine."

May God's love and grace and peace be seen by everyone so they might take hold and reflect that light into the world. To his glory.

No comments: