Thursday, March 16, 2006

I want to ride my bicycle

There are a few bands there that I had to google, for instance, I had never heard of the Ozark Mountain Daredevils!!

Considering the phrase "I had never heard of ...", is it ok (in the USA) to say "I never heard of .."?

There are some subtle differences between the US and UK languages, more subtle than the obvious ones. In a supermarket (eg. shoprite in the US) the checkout assistant says, "Do you have a reward card?" in the UK if the answer is "no" then the response might be "No I haven't". In the US the response is usually "No I don't".

In the School of Rock chart I think bands generally stick to their "type" but there are about 20% of bands (my rough estimate) that move between styles. David Bowie was very notable in this camp (in more ways than one). His "Hunky Dory" was folky, "Ziggy Stardust" clearly rock, and "Young Americans" was soul. And "Low" and "Heroes" were new wave/electro. And perhaps "Electro" is the category that is missing, it would be up there near "New Wave" with bands like Kraftwerk listed around it. In fact a Kraftwerk song called "Numbers" started the entire "hip hop" generation when it was lifted by Afrika Bambaata and the Soul Sonic Force. Ah those were the days. Rap also loaned heavily from bands like Queen and Blondie. Perhaps the biggest omission on that chart is leaving out Queen, but there were some illegible entries so perhaps they are there and I just missed them?

What's your opinion on who/what is missing from that chart?

+++

Saw the "Cinderella Man" movie tonight. Ron Howard and Russell Crowe a good combination methinks.

No comments: