Saturday, June 09, 2007

Why SOA?

Apparently the SOA charts I put together tell the story better than they'd seen anywhere else.

Yes I too have stated this. The question I have is "Will customers really embrace SOA or will they stick with monolithic applications?"

I like to think of the Linux kernel, it is monolithlic, although well structured. Other kernels, such as the one in Apple's MacOS are "microkernels" they have a small basic kernel and you plug higher level functions (eg. I/O) into it.

Which is the better architecture? I don't know. Although Apple do have a prettier GUI :)

+++

I was speaking with someone who said he has made a mint in property investment, he said he uses Google Earth to assay (assess?) the value of a proposed investment. He has a simple algorithm that takes into account how many major roads pass by etc. Interesting use of Google Earth I thought!

+++

PS. I can see your previous draft! My guess is that you didn't want to risk disheartening me .. don't worry I am quite cognisant of my chances should A try to get K back, in that case I can only appeal to God to soften her heart and let her see the wishes of her child. I am confident :)

PPS. Ubiquitous protocol required yes, but also a PC in every home too (otherwise there is nothing to connect together). What was the sequence ...

1. Computers came into existence
2. The military and academia connected them together (TCP/IP)
3. Microsoft put a PC in every home
4. The network from (2) extended to (3) - like a creeping virus?

?

No comments: