Sunday, June 10, 2007

Legal Repercussions

There seems to be something of a desire to "worship" built into us humans - it's just that sometimes we worship the wrong things don't we? Like "celebrities" - I mean what is that all about? Still, I understand now that Paris Hilton has buckled down and will serve her 40-odd days on the 5-star celebrity wing like a good girl.

I think short term jail sentences for this kind of thing are a good idea. Judges have great powers, and it's good to see them exercised in this case. Where they are not exercised but should be, is when it comes to fathers seeing their children. For instance, a mother can be jailed for deliberately and repeatedly obstructing contact - but rarely will judges incarcerate these women. It's not "in the best interests of the child". I would disagree with that to an extent.

There were some awful liberals on the chess server saying "Ohh that judge will regret it if Paris commits suicide in prison - the nasty judge". This is so indicative of a major problem with many young people today. "It's not my fault" and "I should be allowed to do what I want" and "THE MAN has ruined the ozone layer ... etc" (Spot the reference :)

Incidentally, what would these liberals say to a father who was told by a judge that he could not see his children, and then had to pay the mother 75% of his salary to live in the house he slaved all his life to buy with her boyfriend that he had been replaced by? If this father decided to commit suicide then I bet it would not be the fault of the judge in that case - I mean, the father had it coming to him didn't he :) Most normal folks would say "bad luck". But "bad luck" is not correct, "it's a travesty of justice" is closer to the mark.

So yes I think there are times you should hold judges accountable for the consequences of their bad decisions - but not in the Paris Hilton case.

Thoughts?

No comments: