Friday, April 21, 2006

Top Down Approach

I can't see that phrase "Top Down Approach" and not think of J2EE development, where that phrase means something. I haven't a clue what, but I've heard it used a lot.

You wrote:
They're not quite at "Truth is relative" yet but I have faith that they will get there :-) I recommend that you have a look at the paper as it's the start of grasping the principles of quantum mechanics as applied to the entire Universe.
I tried to wade into that paper but got lost on the term vacua. That stuff is way over my head.

I don't concern myself too much with those who probe the hither regions of "string theory" and other cosmologies. If that's what they like, then great ... but I doubt it'll ever have much direct impact on our lives here. It seems to me an exercise akin to debating how many angels can dance on the head of a pin:
  1. We can't know, in the real sense of the term know
  2. Even if we could ... so what? Who really cares?
I realize I'm stepping dangerously close to some areas you are fond of. Like I said, if you enjoy that area of study and thought, then that's great. I just can't grasp it ... not the specifics nor the reason why I should care.

The "Truth is Relative" angle of this is something one embraces to their peril. I'm not speaking of the "truth" of one cosmological history versus another. As I said, fine ... whatever. But as to whether or not there is one immutable anchor point, I will firmly hold to "Yes." I do that not only out of faith in the one God whose name is "I AM," but out of a real sense for the damage it does our beings to think there is not an anchor point.

I think we've had this discussion before -- whether it be true or not, the belief in a God and a sense of accountability in this life was, and is, a regulating force for society. Strip that away and the fabric of our community unravels. The "all Truth is relative" mantra is nothing more than a stripping away of the singularity of God's presence and an unraveling of our society. It takes almost no effort to see the effects of this in our world. Some -- many -- choose not to see it, however. They find comfort in there being "no one truth." Comfort, that is, until someone imposes upon their sense of security ... then we see how there very much is a "truth" in people's hearts and minds.

But I digress ... two questions for you:
  1. What the heck is "vacua" -- plural for vacuum?
  2. You never answered my "What kind of beans?" question.

No comments: