Saturday, April 22, 2006

Mysteries

So much to respond to:
  • The challenge of something unsolved -- I see your point regarding chasing after answers to mysteries that confront us. And I know what it's like to losing at something and feel inferior. But it doesn't necessarily follow that all mysteries should be pursued. But if it gives people some sense of adventure to chase after puffy clouds they'll never catch, then have at it. The mystery of the origin of the universe will never, ever, ever be solved by us. We can conjure up all manner of theories, but they'll remain just that: theories. And I'm perfectly alright with that ... provided they don't magically become fact simply because Time Magazine says they're fact. What was it I was saying about presuming that premises have been established when in fact they have not?
  • The challenge of fundamental tensions at the heart of Christianity -- you bet, there's a bunch of them. The one you site, the classic "Why do bad things happen to good people" question, is one of the hardest to respond to. We want an answer, but it simply is one God has chosen not to give to us in a direct fashion. Our closest answer comes in the book of Job, which is not without its own difficult passages. Wanting to box God in and say he's not in control is immediately satisfying, but ultimately it is not.
The answer to the question is not "It's a mystery," but rather "It's a mystery to us, but not to God Almighty." The Bible over and over against tells us that we are to trust God, not only in what he provides us but also trust that he knows what he's doing and he's in complete control. It's a hard, hard thing to do. But it is the supreme act of our faith -- to trust when we feel we can't.

I don't wish to make light of the tragedy that fell upon the young woman. And I too suffer from a deep distrust of God and a horrible core of unbelief. But I know, deep inside, that my path is not the right path ... that ultimately I must work towards trusting God in all things.

I have had brief glimpses of the peace that can be had when I truly do lay down my distrust and place it all in the Lord's hands. It is a glorious sense of peace. Unfortunately, I grab it right back because I'm a stiff-necked person, like the Israelites were a stiff-necked people in the desert for 40 years.

Your boss's wife is facing a critical test of her faith. Let's pray she finds a way to trust that the God who authored the deep mystery of creation is the same one that is controlling all things now.
  • Relative Truth -- I doubt many will explicitely say, "There is no truth; all things are relative." But in their minds they're employing a concept of it when they say things like, "Who are we to judge ..." or "perhaps the terrorists have a reason for what they do." It's there ... it's everywhere. And it's as corrosive a force as there's ever been. I see it every day ... just not explicitely stated.
  • Beans and toast and a poached egg -- I'll have to try that one day. I'd be sorely tempted to dash hot sauce on it, though. I've taken a fancy of late to cucumber sandwiches ... sliced cucumbers on white bread with a thin layer of "Miracle Whip Salad Dressing", some salt and, if I'm feeling really decadent, a slice of deli cheese. Hmmmm.

No comments: