Thursday, September 01, 2005

Slip sliding away

Your last post covers a lot of things, I'd like to pick up on a couple of things here:

You wrote:

"The ideal is a full measure of both -- a person deeply committed to Christ and showing that through their everyday actions and deeds"

My only concern about this is we need to be sure, or at least agree upon, what Christ is telling us to do. I have seen many people twist His message of love. I don't know what is twisted and what Christ actually wanted and really said. I believe that He told us to love God and love our fellow human being.

There may have been a number of things He told us to avoid, for our own benefit, but I am not 100% sure of what they are, and other Christians would disagree with me on these things. For example practising homosexual Christians would tell me that being a practising homosexual is ok with Jesus.

Is it ok with Jesus to look inside the atom, and then to split it?

Is it ok with Jesus if we clone humans?

Where is the line between our prejudices and what Jesus commanded?

You wrote:

He argues that the "Kingdom of God" is not to be entered and enjoyed after our death, but rather right now.

This is along the lines of some recent thoughts that I have had. To personalize my story, lately I feel I have been becoming more isolated, on purpose. I'm feeling less and less inclined to connect with people. A "Help The Aged" leaflet came through my door this morning, they're looking for charitable donations to help with the "problem of isolation". I immediately thought "Hey, isolation is good, I like isolation". And this reminds me of the story you told me about, where after death people in Hell move further and further apart. Maybe I have entered Hell already? And that's why I am becoming a miserable old so and so?

And on the toilet - of course it is the latter. I'm not suggesting creating the problem of sliding off of the can, but of creating the benefit of saving hundreds of millions of gallons of fresh water per year in reduced flushing :-)

No comments: