Wednesday, August 31, 2005

A Hint at Cornerstore #6

As I mentioned in my e-mails, I'm presently reading a book by Dr. Dallas Willard called, "The Divine Conspiracy." A few weeks back I finished a more recent work of his called, "Renovation of the Heart."

One of the things Dr. Willard points to as a great trouble with contemporary Christianity is the tendency among some to claim salvation through faith in Christ, yet display little if any real change in their lives to show for it. He argues that the "Kingdom of God" is not to be entered and enjoyed after our death, but rather right now. His argument is that we are called to be Christ's disciples, to strive earnestly to conform ourselves to the image of Christ, to "put on the character of Christ" in our present-day selves.

I've been pondering all this quite a bit for the last several weeks. There's a real tension here -- between "faith" and "works":
  • Faith without works is "dead" according to James ... in other words, someone who claims faith in Christ but shows no external manifestation of that faith probably isn't truly trusting in Jesus.
  • Works without faith is simply trying to work out my salvation on my own.

One of the things that's been tossing around in my mind for some time is this: the solution can't be a compromise between the two extremes. That would be a lukewarm faith mixed with a half-hearted display of works. Neither is effective; combined it amounts to little.

The ideal is a full measure of both -- a person deeply committed to Christ and showing that through their everyday actions and deeds.

The problem is this: how many people do you know like that? I know none.

But that's what Willard is getting at in "Renovation of the Heart" -- that our objective while alive in this life is to commit ourselves to be real disciples of Christ, to truly "follow" him (and his example), and to grow each day in that role as disciple.

That's more or less the message of my Cornerstone #6 -- "Man's Response." When I first started the cornerstone series, I envisioned #6 as what should be the response of someone who has truly contemplated the sorry state of their sinfulness and compared it against the gift of salvation through Christ. And I could think of no other response than deep, humble gratitude.

So why is it so hard? Is it because we're all not really Christians? I'd hesitate to venture that conclusion. Willard argues in "Renovation of the Heart" that we are unable to simply "will" ourselves to faithful obedience because there's more to our makeup than our will. Our will is one piece, but not the total mechanism. And if the other pieces aren't aligned to God as well, then simply exerting our will is likely to result in failure.

I can attest to the validity of that statement.

So I don't really have much argument with the basic thrust of Willard's argument. One thing troubles me, though ... his focus is so far removed from inherent sinfulness of man and salvation through Christ and Christ alone that I wonder ...

  • Does he not believe that Christ is the only way?
  • Or does he simply presuppose true saving faith in the work of Christ, and then get on to the issues of growing in Christ after that?

I'd like to believe the latter. I'm still pondering it and reading his writings with a keen eye.'

In any event, that's what is animating my heart right now ... I know that there are elements of my mind, my thoughts, my feelings, closely held images of myself and others ... that simply can't remain forever. They are too limiting and destructive. I honestly don't believe I can change them on my own, but I honestly believe that God can. Somewhere in the middle of all that is a cooperative and increasing surrender of myself to Christ, with the expectation (hope?) of his healing Spirit making the necessary changes to things beyond my reach.

That's my post for this evening.

No comments: