Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Cursing

I wrote that I cursed when I realized that my wallet had been stolen. And then felt guilty afterwards.

An article was published on the net yesterday which I found interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/20/science/20curs.html?ex=1284868800&en=aa9497f028be8281&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

(Not sure if you have to take a free "sign up" to see it though).

But they're talking about the power of words. And it occurred to me that The Word is a very important religious concept.

"People can feel very passionate about language," she said, "as though it were a cherished artifact that must be protected at all cost against the depravities of barbarians and lexical aliens.""

and

"Among Christians, the stricture against taking the Lord's name in vain extended to casual allusions to God's son or the son's corporeal sufferings - no mention of the blood or the wounds or the body, and that goes for clever contractions, too. Nowadays, the phrase, "Oh, golly!" may be considered almost comically wholesome, but it was not always so. "Golly" is a compaction of "God's body" and, thus, was once a profanity."

and

"Yet the urge mounts, until at last the speech pathways fire, the verboten is spoken, and archaic and refined brains alike must shoulder the blame. "

I will get blogging again this weekend I hope ! I trust that you are well.

No comments: