Thursday, September 15, 2005

Milestones

Thank you, good sir, for your warm and kind comments in your last post. I don't recall exactly why I decided to take that detour. I think it was because I started thinking about songs from the 1980's. The 1980's for me was rich was lifestyle milestones, and I mark my memories relative to those milestones. The idea of a person's life being marked by event milestones occurred to me after we moved to Howell. Suddenly everything was "pre-move" or "post-move". And as my life proceeded, more milestones were introduced.

I've oftened wondered what life must have been like for ancient cultures where life had few such milestones. People were born, raised, lived and died all in the same place. Everybody did essentially the same thing -- farmed and tried to survive -- and they did this generation after generation, century after century, for thousands of years. How different is our world of rapid change.

* * *
As for you daughter ... love her, be there for her, and provide a living example of normalcy. And ask the Lord to watch over her and provide for her.

* * *
Both you and I have the same character trait: we tend to discount our skills. I don't know why this is so. But for others, looking at us, it must be baffling. At least it keeps us humble. :-)

* * *
Is God a mathematician? Absolutely! I think I wrote once before about the book "Prime Obsession" by John Derbyshire. He writes of the question for understanding prime number distribution along the Zeta function. I can't recall all the details, but apparently there's a relationship between the distribution of prime numbers and the nuclear decay rate. And I think you once wrote that Pi works its way into physical science in ways not directly associated with a circle's diameter and circumfrence.

The realization of all this really struck me as profound.

In the book I'm reading right now -- "The Divine Conspiracy" by Dallas Willard -- he writes of how people tend to discount the intelligence of Jesus of Nazareth. People tend, Willard writes, to think of Jesus as "average" in intelligence, but little more. When asked to truly trust Jesus now, we tend to shy away a bit. Willard argues that Jesus was in fact brilliant -- more brilliant than anyone else, ever.

This is similar to the argument made in the book "Your God is Too Small." By holding a diminished view of God (or Jesus) we really hinder our ability to truly trust Him.

* * *
Sorry to hear about your wallet, but I'm happy to read you got all your credit cards back. Cash is easily replaced. Calling the credit card companies and canceling all the cards is a real effort.

No comments: