Saturday, July 14, 2007

Racism

A question on racism .. is it learned behaviour or is it something inate in humans?

For many years my assessment was that it was the latter - a result of the quality in humans that evolution has given us .. ie. a preference for the familiar.

But watching my daughter grow up I see *none* of that when it comes to children of other "races" .. although why that term is used is beyond me as we are all part of the human race homo sapiens.

Societal pressure and whether it's coming back in some kind of ant-politically-correct way against the war on terrorists is interesting, I think your observation is spot on. I think it is returning.

+++

It's funny, we are like Locke and Demosthenes from Enders Game by Orson Scott Card ...

Back on Earth, Ender's brother and sister have begun trying their hand at popular politics, assuming the virtual identities of Locke and Demosthenes. The latter, written by Valentine, is a hot-headed rabble-rouser who stirs up discontent and whose main purpose is to provide a counterpoint to Peter's Locke identity, whom he is using to gain real power and influence over the world stage.

:)

No comments: