Friday, July 06, 2007

Darwinian Puzzle

Interesting article. Quite saddening (but true) that the whole world seems to be dominated by the desire to reproduce, to dance to the tune that DNA is playing.

Some thoughts as I read ...

It is no coincidence that blond hair evolved in Scandinavia and northern Europe, probably as an alternative means for women to advertise their youth, as their bodies were concealed under heavy clothing.

"No coincidence" vs. "Probably". Hmmm. Which is it? I thought at this point that the authors had fallen into the age old trap of using "It's a well known fact .." (ie. the sure fire statement "It is no coincidence" and then realising they had done that followed up with a back-peddle (ie. "probably"). Either way it left me thinking "maybe these guys are just bullshitting me to make a buck".

True, less desirable men can marry only less desirable women, but that's much better than not marrying anyone at all.

Why is getting a life partner such an attractive prospect for most people? Explain please.

Americans who are rated "very attractive" have a 56 percent chance of having a daughter for their first child, compared with 48 percent for everyone else.

Yes I agree, and I think the "daughter effect" is largely due to attractive, if poor, fathers - nothing to do with women (or Americans :)

Women often say no to men. Men have had to conquer foreign lands, win battles and wars, compose symphonies, author books, write sonnets, paint cathedral ceilings, make scientific discoveries, play in rock bands, and write new computer software in order to impress women so that they will agree to have sex with them. Men have built (and destroyed) civilization in order to impress women, so that they might say yes

This is so true. I learned this in my mid twenties and have done my best to refuse to play this little game ever since. I recall saying to you some years ago (7 or 8) .. "who wants to dance to the tune of DNA?" I think this was outside a Yaght Club in the Poughkeepsie are if memory serves me correctly. We don't have to play, as thinking beings we always have a choice.

No comments: